Tuesday, July 5, 2011

A "Psalm" I wrote

So I took a class on the Psalms, and I thought I would test my understanding of the form by composing a few Psalms of my own. This first one is a lament:

When Don was overwhelmed by the burdens of life. A Song. Of Don.

Oh, Lord, you are my resting place
Where else can I turn for help?
I am overwhelmed by problems
Troubles that come from your hand
Rulers try to tear down my house
I cannot live in my home
They threaten me and make demands on me
“Build this and that and you may return,
Pay us much gold and we will go away”
Wild animals devour my flocks
My bees die of mysterious diseases
My cows neither give birth nor provide milk
The seeds of my garden do not germinate
The works of my hands break apart
My belongings are in storage;
They cannot be found when I need them
My blessings became burdens,
I am weighed down with cares.
Lord, when will you deliver me?
My God, how long until you rescue me?
I am paralyzed by the tasks you assigned me
Yet I will still trust in the Lord.
He has guided my steps and provided abundantly.
Oh Lord, solve all my problems
Remove all my difficulties
Give me work to do for you kingdom
And success in the labors you assign.
Then I will praise you, God
I will declare your deliverance to my neighbors
I will praise you on Facebook, that many might know
How marvelous you are; how you love me.
Although you teach and discipline me with cares
Your steadfast love never fails.
So I will hope in you, and trust your power
For you are from eternity to eternity
Nothing is too hard for you,
My Savior, my Friend, and my God.

To the choirmaster.

No comments: